Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 22: Big Hearts and Big Wins

Well folks, we're one day closer to the end of a solid season, but the team is still out there, every night, giving it our all.  And sometimes, after those days where we just don't do as well as we had hoped, it's important to us to know our fans are still there, cheering for us, day in and day out, rain or shine, hot or cold.  And I happened to have one of those days just two days ago:

Rare book that actually is as good as cover.
Ever since a young boy, I have loved McDonald's.  I frequented it from cradle, and hopefully to the grave (which could be any day now, considering how much I eat).  And through all my trips to Mickey D's, I did my best to sample their wider variety of delicious, (semi-)nutritious, food.  But believe it or not, in my 21 years of McDonald's patronage, I had never tried a classic.  I had never tried the Filet-O-Fish.  I mean, can you blame me?  They look disgusting.  Not to mention with the stories of mercury deposits building in tuna and the research linking mercury with Alzheimer's?  But upon further research, I found out that McDonald's uses, good, clean, endangered New Zealand Hoki and some Alaskan Pollock.  And my mother always taught me, don't judge a book by it's cover (unless it's the one to the right, because that book actually is as good as its cover).  Plus, McDonald's has never steered me wrong before, despite appearances.  So, a couple days ago, with pressure mounting, I decided to try the Filet-O-Fish, knowing I should eat every item with Monopoly pieces at least once.  And it tasted pretty good.  McDonald's did it once again.  But wait.  I thought it was good, and everything was going well.  Shouldn't I be rewarded for trying a new item I had avoided for decades?  But no, I was not rewarded.  In fact, I was punished for going so long without trying it.  I went 0 for 5.

So I came home, slightly down in the dumps.  And to both my delight and surprise, what did I find?  If it wasn't a faithful fan, showing his support, even after such a disappointing outing.  McWolken had donated to the team $0.24 to buy a medium water (note the button on the side of the page).  Through his kindness, I rallied.  I felt rejuvenated, knowing the fans still cared.

So the next day, striking out for the home stadium with the team (McGomez was serving his 1 game suspension), I knew I couldn't let McWolken down.  Coming up to the drive-thru, I went for it.  I ordered a Big Mac meal (again, a rare item for me, but I wanted to eat everything with pieces on it), with large fries, medium drink, and 4 medium waters.  The rest of the team placed their orders.  We got our food and headed home for the conquest.  And boy howdy, did McWolken's faith pay off.  I started off a stunning 3 for 3, with 2 medium fries, and a McFlurry.  And this time McDonald's did reward my change of routine, by giving me another medium fry on the Big Mac, capping the evening at 4 for 7 and putting me back in contention for the triple crown.  Not only did I go 4 for 7, but McWolken pinch hit for a McFlurry win as well, going 1 for 1 on his donated water.  What a stellar evening.

So fans, here's to one of your own.  I'd like to personally thank McWolken for rallying me when I was feeling down and I'd like to challenge all the rest of you to match him.  Help out the team.  Show your support and donate a water.  It's not the $0.24, but the thought that keeps us going.

I'm lovin' it,

McCappo

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys. I have two local Mcdonalds in my area, but none of them ever let me get mcmedium waters. Any tips??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey McRevvy, what we've found is it can depend on which manager is working and what time of day. At the home stadium, they really don't care during the late shift, right before close. Perhaps changing your timing may help.

    I'm lovin' it,

    McCappo

    ReplyDelete