Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 13: McGomez On the Road, Is a Tooth

Growing up in middle America, my family did not possess the riches necessary to afford a private hangar at the luxurious Oakland County Airport. However, like any other family trying to achieve the American Dream, we would go on vacations to see the country, sea to shining sea. And we'd get there via road trips.


That's not actually my family, but this is:


We like to think of ourselves as a more euphoric version of the Boxcar Children.

Anyway, point is I went on a road trip this weekend to America's Heartland and back. But neither my time spent in Iowa nor my pit-stop in the South Side of Chicago could match the excitement and allure of my McDonald's stop in Jackson, MI. It was the first stop my van made, but we made it count. Well, I did, anyway.

I wasn't extremely hungry at the time, but my vanmates were eager to eat, so I said to them, "why not stop at McDonald's?"

"That's quite an argument," said nobody but thought them all.

We went through the drive-thru like it was any old thing, but that's where my tale begins to unwind. It wasn't just "any old thing" - this was a huge thing.

As usual, I ordered my four medium waters. I reached into my wallet to retrieve my golden dollar (an 1854 Small Indian Head golden dollar, to be precise) but that proved to be an utter waste of time. That's right, folks: IT WAS FREE!!!

To put this into perspective...
McGOMEZ's TOP 5 FAVORITE THINGS:
1) Space Jam
2) His Mama
3) Free Medium Waters
4) Candy
5) Girls in White Dresses w/ Blue Satin Sashes





Needless to say this was pretty exciting to get my #3 most favorite thing in the world for free. If only I didn't have to pay for #5...

But that's not where the excitement ended. While I will admit I didn't have a McGomez outing that the fans have come to expect this season, I made my lone hit count. I went 1-4 with a free 3 month subscription to Pogo.com. That's a fairly valuable prize, especially when you consider that I didn't have to pay a dime to get it. Even though my season average dipped a bit, I'm still clinging to my team lead with a .348 average - both McCappo and McKyle biting at my heels.

But we're all teammates, right? There's no competition between us.
None. What. So. Ever.

And for those of you who wanted to know, I tried out my free Pogo.com subscription Saturday night in my hotel and it's not so great. Pogo is a games website where you can play board games, cards, & puzzles online against other (presumably) paying Pogoers.

Why anyone would pay for this website is beyond me. I played three hands of euchre before I quit. Every single time, someone called for a loner before it even came to me to call. That's crap.
***If you're not from Michigan, this should help you understand better***

I must have been the tooth because he hasn't looked at his cards yet and the princess, cactus, and gopher are still playing anyway.

Ba Da Ba Ba Baaa,

McGomez

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I found this blog off Wiki. Nice stuff. I goto UofM as well. Pulled 28 the past couple days. Have every railroad, Green, Yellow, Red, Orange, and Pink except for the Rare pieces defined in the Wiki. Also, park place and Baltic ave. ONLY 2 WINNERS THOUGH! Put's me at a very sorry .007. I pulled them all at McDonalds Carpenter Rd, near Meijers (Ypsilanti). If you need more stats, hit me up. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been retaining all my tabs for a similar statistical analysis. If you have interest in my data, I'd be happy to share. N=74 (currently).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some rough luck, McKhalil. Our best luck has come at our home stadium on Stadium, just north of Liberty. We aren't trying to keep it a secret; feel free to try it out.

    And McYak, we'd love to hear your stats, but I don't think we'll combine them with ours as we're trying to also record which items they came from. But keep going with it, certainly. What would be the fun without a little competition?

    I'm lovin' it,

    McCappo

    ReplyDelete