Friday, October 12, 2012

A Super-Sized Presidential Contribution!?!?

With the Presidential Election just around the corner, I consider myself obliged to keep the populous informed, especially when it comes to our beloved McDick's.  McDonald's primarily tries to avoid the political spotlight.  But, over the years, they have silently donated money to various politicians to garner support for their business prospects. 
Fig. 1: McDonald's Political Contributions
(http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00063164&cycle=2010)

"Big Business" historically allies with the Republican Party, and McDonald's, being in the business of making people big, is no exception (as evidenced by Fig. 1).  However, they have recently begun donating more money to Democratic campaigns.  Has McDonald's begun a shift in their political strategy?

Glenn Beck certainly thinks so.  And in a big way.  Last week on his radio show, Glenn Beck stated that McDonald's was, "...clearly in bed with President Obama, that whore in the House of Representatives [Nancy Pelosi], and probably even the whole Democratic Party."  Now what could convince Beck to take this untenable stance, other than his need to fill another hour of air-time?  Nothing other than the start of our favorite McDonald's Monopoly!  Beck said, "Their Monopoly propaganda program is a blatantly underhanded attempt to keep His Royal Highness Obama in the White House by assuaging the proletariat's worries with free fries, breakfast sandwiches, and maybe some MCR points.  Meanwhile, they're giving the economy a kick-start just before the election.  I wouldn't be surprised if their growth is responsible for the recent drop in unemployment too!"

Glenn Beck's proposed logo for McD's
While it is true that McDonaldopoly will almost assuredly single-handedly fix the economy, Glenn Beck has missed a few things.  First, McDonald's Monopoly is seasonal.  We come out every fall, nation-wide, to play McDonaldopoly, not just this year.  Second, McDonald's prizes this year include: a Beaches Resort to the Turks and Caicos or Jamaica and a Fiat.  A Fiat!?!?  Now I know for sure that no UAW worker is making those, probably just a bunch of Blackshirt Italians.  But their prizes certainly aren't geared towards promoting Democratic interests.  And finally, McDonald's colors are gold and red.  While they are the colors of fries and ketchup, they're also the color of riches and the Republican Party.  Coincidence?  I think not.

So is McDonald's secretly backing President Obama's campaign?  I'm not sure.  But I don't expect to see Ronald McDonald at any rallies anytime soon.  So make sure to examine both sides of the argument before jumping to any conclusions, and get informed because November 6th is your day to choose.  Me, personally?  I think I'm going to choose a #1, large fry with a medium coke.

I'm lovin' it.

McCappo

4 comments:

  1. I find watching these presidential debates uncomfortable because they refuse to acknowledge the elephant in the room (that of course being that McDonaldopoly has the economy covered and they can just move on to other issues). They are both so terrified of word getting out that they are in bed with McDonalds that they won’t so much as mention the word “McDonaldopoly” despite the fact that it is the answer to many of society’s woes. Sometimes I think they would rather keep the economy weak than hand credit over to a clown. Then again, I notice a striking resemblance between President Obama and Ronald McDonald and can’t help but be reminded of what great mischief Senator Palpatine was able to get away with using an alternate name (Darth Sideous) and a much less effective disguise.

    By the way McCappo, you have made me realize there are tricks of the trade that I still have not uncovered and I am humbled. I was not aware you could order large combo with a medium drink, which sounds like the ultimate go to move this year as we are handicapped by the medium water bans.

    Yours truly,

    McAnonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true, McNonymous. It's a harsh reality that politics often limits the possibilities of our great country. I dream of a president that will promise "A plate of Big Macs on every table in America and a McChicken in every child's lunchbox."

    Meanwhile, I've been hitting the $0.30 McMedium waters hard in SC, but it's always important to go for the medium drink with the large combo. Try the "it won't fit in my cup-holder" excuse, or the ever-popular "I'm on a diet." Keep on truckin' and remember...

    I'm lovin' it,

    McCappo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been an epic season of McDonaldopoly indeed! The coverage was off the charts! Sometimes I found myself reviewing a post, stepping away to piss out some Hi C Orange and coming back to find a multitude of additional updates that I could not plow through before again being at the mercy of my need to release more of the High C Orange stretching my bladder. This left me feeling overwhelmed and overstimulated but strangely gleeful. With the intensity that has become the theme of this season, what will these final days have in store for us fans?

    Sarcastically yours,

    McAnonymous

    ReplyDelete